Friday, May 30, 2008

6.4 Litres = 1.69 Gallons....should i really expect better than 17 MPG?


Here is my new "game". I drive like an old man, easy accelerations, i do the speed limit, i brake early for stoplights in hopes that i am still rolling when it turns green. I'm trying to see how good my mileage can get with the big truck. With a 6.4 litre engine (with two turbos) there will be a limit to how good the mileage will be. Currently with my daily driving i am averaging 14.5 mpg, which is up from 12.8-13 with my old style of driving. I need to do a time/cost analisyst to see if my time is actually worth more than the 1.5 mpg and the 10mph slower on all the roads. I'm having a few transmission issues (nothing major) so i plan on taking it in next week. While it is there i'll have them update any and all programs on the truck. Maybe ford has released a program update that will improve the mileage further. I haven't done any long trips in the truck since last fall, so i am curious what the freeway mileage will be...maybe 18....call me crazy.
I'm thinking a Mini Cooper Clubman in yellow with black stripes would make a nice "drive to bike races" vehicle.

3 comments:

MRussell said...

Mini would be nice, but I can think of a few better color combinations.

SAMBO said...

they don't offer it in blue with orange stripes

Unknown said...

Thought I'd let you know I got 29.5 mpg out of my Ranger today (140 mile round trip).

All by upping my tire pressure to 5-10 over "Max" on the sidewall, and driving 5 mph below the speed limit. Oh, I put it in neutral while coasting down hills.

-Chris