Monday, December 11, 2006

VACX Finals (Trial by Fire for the New Ride)



Sunday turned out to be a beautiful day and much better than the weatherman said too. Sara, Katie and I drove over the mountain for the last cyclocross race of the season, the VACX Finals at Darden Town park in c'ville.


We actually had call-ups at this race. I was sitting in first in the series and they called up second place James Revere. I had my worst start ever, i was second or third to last by the end of the first straightaway. I just couldn't seem to clip in. I worked my way through the pack and by the end of the first lap, things had broken up into groups. There was a 45+ rider way off the front, then Rob Cook and Chris Scott follow by James Revere and me. James and swapped spots several times throughout the race, I couldn't shake him. Every time i thought i had a little distance on him, i would see his front wheel pop up on the side. At the end of each lap there was a steep grass hill, some folks were chosing to ride up it, i picked the running option. (My legs didn't seem to have much pop, so it was best not to force them to ride up that thing) My worst fear came true when i realized that the finish was going to come down to who could run up the hill the fastest. James was right on my wheel when we pulled on the last stretch of pavement before the monster. When we hit the hill he was about half a step behind me. About 5 steps from the top, i dug deep and put in a little extra umpf, hit the flat top and kept on running across the finish line. My first bike race that finished on foot. It was a tough fight for third place. I wrapped up first place in the VACX series 35+, woo-hoo. All that and a state championship too. Where is my Wheaties BOX!!! (got a jersey tho)


We hung around to watch the boys race the A and B race. (I got to play photographer again with Kevin's d-fitty) The B race had the usual suspects up in front, for a minute there i thought that Bill from Tripower had been sandbagging all year and was going to take the win, it was either that or Kevin and Bill were working on some team tactics, you sneaks. The group stayed close together until two laps to go, Kyle broke off the front with one other guy, Mark Russell was all alone in third and kevin and bill were a little ways back in 4th and 5th. Kyle ended up sprinting up the hill to take the win. Russell took third and held on to take the VACX series B win. Way to go Russell. (two l's)

Yesterday was the second ride (first CX) on the new bike. Very nice. It seemed a little harsh, but i think it was because i was running too much pressure and the ground was frozen. My new wheels held up too. This was only the second set that i have built, but i learned how to do it from Les so how could i go wrong.
Thanks for the pics Kev. Good luck at Nats.

1 comment:

Taz Brown said...

Yeah Sam! I'm a little late but way too go!