Sunday, November 19, 2006

Ciclismo Cross VACX round 3

So this is my first post on my new blog. Not sure if i have enough thoughts to support a blog, but what the heck. What few thoughts i have are bound to be the best thoughts ever!!!

Drove out to Richmond for the Cyclocross race this morning. I was pretty excited about this course, we raced it last January and it was fast and relatively flat. There is a nice stretch of single track (technically not allowed in cross...but whose keeping track) The course was similar to before, but with the rain during the week, parts of the single track were still really moist. (almost like there was an underground spring) The muddy parts weren't too bad during the first race, but by the end of the day, it was really nasty. I was originally planning on racing 35+ and Men's A, but being the wimp that i am, i ended up only racing 35+. I wasn't in the mood to run my bike through the mud for another hour and after last weekend in c'ville, i didn't want to spend the whole week working on my bike again.

My race went pretty well. I was off to a slow start (second to last hitting the grass) but i managed to work my way through the field and finished third. The first place guy was 2 minutes ahead of me, and Chris Scott finished second about a minute up on me.
The course was fun like i remember, no real hills, and lots of fun on the single track.

I hung around to watch the exciting B race. The pack was together for the first half, when Kevin Horvath put a little distance between Mark Russel, Kyle Murphy and a third guy. I was shooting pics with Kevin's camera, so it was pretty exciting to see him off the front. Kevin finished first with about 15 seconds on the chase group and Mark finished second in a sprint for the finish. Kyle came in 4th, apparently he lost his front brakes and failed to negotiate a curve. It would have been cool to see a 3 up sprint for 2nd.

A good time was had by all. Looking forward to the trip to VA Beach next weekend.

No comments: