Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Cyclocross'n at the Beach

So Sara and I made the trek down to VA Beach for the weekend to do a little walking on the beach, a little roller blading and a little cyclocross. (you know what the hardest thing about rollerblading is? Telling your parents that you're gay. I love that joke)The weather turned out beautiful, much warmer and clearer than it was in January.
Saturday night we met up with some of the Tripower folks for dinner. It was nice to get to hang out with some other racers away from the race.
Sunday was even better than Saturday, nice warm morning and not a cloud in the sky. I was racing the Masters 35+, the first race of the day which means the course wasn't chewed up yet. The course was mostly dry, which was a welcome change after two weeks of racing through some mud. The plan for the race was to hit the steps as close to the front as possible. I'm usally a little slow out of the gate so i made and extra effort to do a little sprinting at the start. SPrint what, huh, what's that? I was fifth going up the stairs and by the time we were leaving the spiral of doom, i was in first. I wanted to keep on the gas and put as much distance between myself and second place. The ONLY thing i like about the spiral of doom is that it gives you a real easy way to gauge your distance from the chase group. Lap two i was spiraling out when second place was just starting, lap 3 i was out of the spiral when second was just starting. Towards the end of the race, the leader of the 45+ came in to view behind me and i thought he was second place in my race gaining on me so i hammered to the finish. I felt really good on the course and i was really happy with the win. Thanks to all the folks cheering for me on the course.
We hung around for the A/B race. I was glad i didn't race again because i got to watch the exiting B race. There was a pack of 5 that switched places throughout the race and came down to a sprint finish. Great job Kyle, Kevin, and Russell (2 l's).

Next up Reston....Gonna give the killer B's a shot. (35+ B requires me to get up to early)

No comments: