Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Indoor Cycling

I think if there is one downside to cycling it would be training indoors. I would rather be outside on a zero degree day hanging on to that last bit of feeling in my toes, than inside on a trainer or a spin bike. But when the days get short and there isn't enough time to go outside, you gotta stay in shape somehow. When i have to ride inside, my first choice is Spin. I like the structure of the workout, and if the music it good the class can fly by. And sometimes there can be scenery indoors too.
I work as an instructor so i can control the music and make sure the workout is hard enough. I try my best to recreate riding outside on the bikes inside. I hang on to the crazy thought that the people taking the classes have goals of riding outside someday. It's nuts i know, but it could happen.
My other option in town is to hit the local shop on Tue/Thur for the trainer sessions. We circle around the TV in the bike shop, watch a movie and ride our trainers. At least it's something to take your mind off the fact that you are sitting still, sweating buckets with no end in sight.

The benefits of training indoors outweigh the negatives. But i think the key is keeping it a social event. There is nothing that will make you want to swallow a bullet more than spending an hour on a trainer by yourself in the basement.
I'm thinking i might hit the shop tonight for a ride...wonder what movie is playing???

1 comment:

MRussell said...

The first season of Reno 911.