Sunday, March 18, 2007

14th Out of 25...not bad for the first race.

I spent the night in Atlanta Saturday night to shorten the drive down to Macon for the first race of the Georgia series. The course was made up of tight twisty single track that went up and down like a roller coaster. There were only a few spots where you could get any real speed. It was kind of like Camp Hilbert, maybe slightly hillier and with many more twists and turns. The loop was 5.5 miles and the race was 5 LAPS!!! That's 27.5 miles to you and me Rus. I started the race with my typical bad start, I was middle pack until the rider in front of me hit a cone and i had to stop, then i settled into DFL 100 yards into the race. Once i finally got the diesel up to speed i started to pick off other riders. As usual, i was strong on the hills and the flats, but left a lot to be desired on the downhills. I think i had too much air in the front tire, or the tread wasn't that great cause i washed the front wheel out 3 times on the first lap. It could have been my error too, but i'd rather blame the tire. I knew it was going to be a long race, so i pushed it close to the red line, but left a little to make sure i could go the distance. My hammies cramped up on the last lap, but i just pushed through it cause i knew it was almost over.
I need to work on my fitness some more, it's been tough since i've been in GA. But thanks to daylight savings i can actually get some rides in. Another bonus is that my Parents live on top of a mountain, so every loop from home or ride from work to home ends with a 1500ft climb.

BTW: i only ran the front kenda, it worked out fine except for the pressure/tread issue. I did a warm up lap with both of them, but the rear lost 20 psi in 30 minutes. I guess i need to swish the stans around a little more to see if i can seal it.

Keep well.

1 comment:

joe york said...

Good result there big man!! What bike were you on? You should be on the 29!!IMO later Joe.. Thanks for choosing vicki! you guys rock..